Coronavirus live news: South Africa lowers alert level; Jordan ministers sacked for breaches
- Brazil variant cases found in UK
- Mexico expected to ask Joe Biden to consider sharing vaccine
- Nearly 20m receive first dose of Covid vaccine in the UK
- FDA approves Johnson & Johnson’s single-dose coronavirus vaccine
- Concerns grow as UK Covid testing labs scaled back before even opening
- House approves $1.9tn Covid aid bill despite minimum wage setback
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Hospital chiefs are urging UK ministers to expand the NHS’s supply of beds in intensive care units, which have borne the brunt of the Covid-19 pandemic over the last year.
It is unsafe for patients and unfair on frontline staff for the health service to continue with one of the lowest numbers of intensive care beds in Europe, they have told the Guardian.
France has reported 19,952 new confirmed Covid-19 cases in past 24 hours, down from 22,046 last Sunday, the health ministry said.
The data from the ministry showed that 122 had died in hospital with the coronavirus, compared with 159 a week today.