Coronavirus live news: Spain reports record 38,869 new cases; fresh lockdown in Portugal from Friday
- Coronavirus variant from UK ‘must not get out of hand’ warns EU
- US coronavirus death toll reaches new one-day high
- UK coronavirus deaths pass 100,000 after 1,564 reported in one day
- Tokyo outbreak adds to doubts over hosting Olympic Games
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Lebanon’s caretaker health minister, Hamad Hassan, has tested positive for coronavirus and been admitted to hospital, a statement from the ministry said.
“The minister has been admitted to Saint George hospital for treatment,” the statement said.
The African Vaccine Acquisition Task Team has secured a provisional 270m Covid-19 vaccine doses for African countries, South African president Cyril Ramaphosa said.
“As a result of our own efforts we have so far secured a commitment of a provisional amount of 270m vaccines from three major suppliers: Pfizer, AstraZeneca (through Serum Institute of India) and Johnson & Johnson,” Ramaphosa, who is the African Union chair, said in a statement.