- President threatens to override governors if they don’t comply
- Man seen jumping the fence at the White House
- Biden draws criticism for saying voters who back Trump ‘ain’t black’
- Pictures show Trump wearing mask after Ford factory row
- Coronavirus – latest global updates
- Get a fresh perspective on America – sign up to our First Thing newsletter
A report from our West Coast office, on California governor Gavin Newsom’s reopening plans in light of Donald Trump’s demand to open houses of worship:
California has been approaching plans to reopen the state gingerly, but pressure is mounting as business owners, faith leaders and some county officials call on the governor to accelerate.
Joe Biden has apologised for his comment earlier today that if African Americans “have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black”. At the same time, Donald Trump is seeking to press home Republican attacks on the matter.
“I shouldn’t have been such a wise guy,” Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee for president, said on a call with the US Black Chambers, an African-American business group. “I shouldn’t have been so cavalier.”
I know the president and I know his heart and I know his intent,’ she said, accusing the news media of taking Mr Trump ‘out of context’.