- Hearing chairman: Trump has no strategy to protect people
- Maxine Waters: Cain contracted virus after attending Trump rally
- Plan to slash $600 lifeline threatens misery for millions
- Join us for an online event with Eric Holder to discuss voter suppression in the 2020 election, next Thursday at 5pm ET. Register now
- Sign up to our First Thing newsletter
Hello, lovely readers. Kari Paul here in San Francisco to blog you through the news this afternoon. Stay tuned for updates.
It’s been a very lively day in US political news so far today, dominated by the coronavirus crisis, where the US now has 4.5 million confirmed cases and a death toll of almost 153,000, according to the latest data from Johns Hopkins University.
Congress has failed to reach a deal on continued federal unemployment supplements as economic aid amid the Covid-19 pandemic, and the nation heads into a tense weekend in terms of public health and financial news, unfortunately.