Supreme court rejects Trump's request to keep tax returns from prosecutors – live
- Garland emphasizes DOJ independence: ‘I am not the president’s lawyer’
- Biden to order flags be flown at half-staff for coronavirus victims
- US Covid death toll expected to reach half a million
- Dominion Voting to sue MyPillow CEO for defamation
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
Dr Rochelle Walensky, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, was asked about assertions that the US coronavirus death toll seriously underestimates how many Americans have died in the pandemic.
Walensky noted that the pandemic is causing “excess mortality” from a number of causes, including delayed access to medical care.
A reporter asked the White House team why Americans are encouraged to continue to wear masks, even if they have been vaccinated.
Dr Anthony Fauci emphasized that it’s still too early to determine how likely it is for someone who has been vaccinated to transmit coronavirus, even if the person does not develop symptoms.