Coronavirus live news: Italy overtakes UK for European highest death toll; Germany to close shops as part of tougher restrictions
Trump hails start of immunisation programme; UK coronavirus hospitalisations increase; WHO warns number of deaths surging
- How Covid revealed the truth about our world
- FDA chief urged by White House to approve Pfizer vaccine ‘or quit’
- Scientists warn against Christmas gatherings in UK
- California’s ICU beds near capacity as hospitalizations hit record
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Germany will close shops from the middle of next week in a tightening of coronavirus lockdown restrictions, people familiar with the matter said on Saturday.
The decision came ahead of a meeting planned for Sunday between German chancellor Angela Merkel and state leaders.
Italy on Saturday became the European country with the highest official number of Covid fatalities, as its new total of 64,036 deaths overtook Britain, according to an Agence France-Presse tally.
The Italian health ministry said that 649 people had died from the virus in the previous 24 hours and that 19,903 new cases had been diagnosed.